If your New Years Resolution is to get more sleep, here are some tips to sleep better and actually follow through on your New Years Resolutions…for once 😉
1. Set a sleep goal – Its easier to follow a routine if you have a set goal to sleep at least 8 hours every night.
2. Motivate yourself – Are you tired of being tired? Write out a list of pros to getting enough sleep to help motivate you to stick to it!
3. Make a plan – Slowly going to bed earlier and earlier in 15 minute increments may be a lot easier than going to bed 2 hours earlier all of a sudden.
4. Sleep proof your bedroom – Its amazing how many distractions there are in your bedroom when you’re actually trying to sleep. Get rid of the electronics and put your phone on do not disturb! The more you look at bright screens before bed, the harder it is to get to sleep.
5. Bedtime rituals – Having rituals or habits before going to bed will help you get into a routine. Maybe your bedroom ritual is meditating before bed or stretching. Some deep breathing and relaxing visualizations can also help.
6. Don’t watch TV right before bed! – This is probably the most important. Watching television right before bed can make your mind race and you’ll be thinking about your favorite TV show while you’re laying in bed instead of sleeping.
7. Avoid caffeinated foods and drinks after lunch – coffee or tea in the morning is fine but after lunch, switch to water.
8. Try not to sleep in too late on weekends – This one is hard to do but staying up late on weekends can ruin your whole routine that you’ve kept through the week. Also, getting up and going to sleep at the same time everyday promotes healthy body weight.
9. Nap – A lot of us don’t have time to nap during the day, our busy schedules consume our lives. If you do have time to nap, keep it to 30 minutes or less. This will prevent trouble getting to sleep later.